May 22, 2012

Simple pleasures

I like to think of myself as a woman who enjoys simple pleasures ...and expensive shoes... but let's focus on the pleasures right now.

I like watching a storm build in the sky. I like the smell of baking cookies. I like holding hands with and getting sticky kisses from any of my children. I like sending hand written notes in the post. I like opening something (anything really) that is brand new and the joy of using it for the first time. I like when my favourite pen runs completely out of ink- just because I know that I write that much stuff down.

One of my favourite simple pleasures right now is winding wool.
This is a swift. It holds wool so that it can be wound.
With the use of a winder it turns this...
(SweetGeorgia Yarns, Tough Sock Love in Big Blue Wave)
... into this.

 Winding is supposed to be a quiet and meditative process. I turn my winder and it pulls the wool off the swift. When done right everyting should spin with a quiet hum.  That is except when cats help.


What's this? asks Howard.
Hmm, something that hits me in the head repeatedly and grabs my tail.
I don't like it. I will stay away.
What's this? asks Riffraff.
I see string.
I like string.
I want to play with string.

It keeps hitting me in the head.
I don't like that. Now I must attack and yowl at the string.
Mom is getting mad now.
I will eat through this to get to the string.

Why are you putting the string away now Mom?
Can I help?
I like string.
Why, indeed.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it funny how the simplest pleasures are always made more....... interesting by a helpful cat.

    Shay

    ReplyDelete