May 21, 2012

"My God I've Gotten Fat" and Other Things Edna Whispers in my Head

It is spring time. Time where we dust ourselves off and come out of hibernation. Or at least come out of the basement. Depending on whether you are a bear or a person, I suppose.
The weather is favourable and the world seems quite determined to burst forth in green-ness make as much pollen as possible. This would typically be an issue for me but my new and improved sinus system seems to be dealing well with the season, so far.
The kids are busy with their activities throughout the winter and don't have as much winter downtime as some adults. (Namely me.) They get recess 3 times a day and get bundled up and go outside and play. So the transition to spring means less clothes but no less outdoor activities. Now they have traded their sleds for their bikes.

I recently dug out my summer clothes and while trying on a few items I could hear the nasal voice of Edna Mode (from the Disney-Pixar movie The Incredibles) whispering in my head "My God you've gotten fat!"  and "This is a hobo suit, darling."
Yes, the voice in my head sounds just like her.
So, that leads me back to my bike.  Only this time I get to be outside. You may recall that last year I attempted to establish a plan  to ride through the winter in the comfort of my own home. Yeah, I lasted about 4 weeks before giving into the inevitable. Obviously starting with a  rigid 6 day a week program was too ambitious.  And boring to be riding inside all winter.

This season I am going to be much more relaxed about it. I just need to get myself moving and away from my chair at work and the couch at home. I need to up my activity  levels so... I am just going to ride... without the pressure to chart and graph the miles.  Just ride.  What a concept.

And if all goes well I soon won't be sore while riding around town and will be better suited to tackle training projects that may accompany specific goals. Right now my specific goal is to be able to ride more than 3 days in a row without having to assign my children to help me with my personal hygiene for the next 3 days.

Until then I'll just ride.
Elastagirl is my role model. Mother, crime fighter
and wears spandex without embarrassment.
I gotta do something to keep Edna quiet in my head.
And call me when you get back, darling. I enjoy our visits.
*Quotes and pictures courtesy of Disney-Pixar's The Incredibles. Excellent movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment