August 11, 2011

We'll be careful... I promise!!!

"Mom, can we do our nails ourselves?"


"I'm busy right now, Honey. Can this wait, please, until I am done cleaning the pool?"


"No! We want to do it now."


"Okay. Please do it in your bathroom and be really careful."


"Thank you Mom. We will. I promise!"


Exhibit A

Take one tiny bottle (10-15 ml) of Essie "a list" nail polish. Add two little girls and a curious kitten inside the boundaries of a bathroom. What could happen?


Yeah, well we all know what came next... an accidental spill...panic... a panicked attempt at clean up before your little brother can tattle ... dabbing the spill marks with nail polish remover hoping to make a clean spot... dumping the nail polish remover on the floor/counter/sink and scrubbing like mad with the bathroom towels...kicking the cat out of the room again before he can drink more nail polish remover... figuring out that you have stepped in the nail polish and you are leaving more marks on the floor with every step you take (including on the white bath mat)... and finally... sending the child whose arms and hands are 60% covered in red nail polish to tell your mom.


This is another one of those moments where I should have had the presence of mind to have taken a picture. But I didn't. I have not yet reached the Zen enlightenment stage in parenting where I can laugh before I yell. I'm working on it- I seem to be getting lots of opportunity to practice.


There was nail polish on the wall, the floor, in the sink, on the counter, on the door, on the mirror, on Georgia's arms and hands, on Olivia's sock, in the cat's fur, on the bath mat and covering 4 separate face cloths or towels.


Important lessons the girls learned from this:




  1. It might have been better to have confessed sooner.


  2. Cats are never helpful in stress inducing nail polish incidents- no matter what anyone says.


  3. It is a lot of work to clean this stuff up! But it is easier when mom helps.

Important lessons I learned from this:




  1. Holy F***! 10-15 ml of nail polish can go a LONG way! (Did they drop it from the frickin' ceiling?!)


  2. I have pledged my love and eternal gratitude to the makers (obviously a parent) of Mr. Clean Magic Erasers. I will NEVER be without these in my house.


  3. Initial reaction aside (yeah, I yelled, but HOLY CRAP you would have too!) I was calm enough to realise that each of the girls felt really bad about the incident and that they were punishing themselves worse than I ever would have. Accidents happen.

  4. I really need to buy some new face cloths and towels for the kids' bathroom. I'm thinking black ones would be good.



  5. AND I'm putting a live squirrel in the car of the next person who buys my kids nail polish. I'm just saying.

1 comment:

  1. My gosh.....Dad just flashed into my mind!! Think i might have done that once in my bedroom. I'm also kinda glad that I've never purchused nail polish for your girls, and I never will now.

    Hez

    ReplyDelete